WorkSTEPS® is the nation's leading provider of functional employment testing in the nation and was founded to meet a critical employer need - to create a medically safe, legally compliant, scientific and objective means of matching a worker's functional capabilities with the essential functions of the job. Our suite of services includes post-offer pre-employment testing, as well as post-employment testing which includes fit-for-duty testing, functional capacity evaluations and sincerity-of-effort testing.
Our trained, licensed, certified and managed network of healthcare clinicians administers WorkSTEPS propriety employment testing in 48 states nationally. Standardized programming, training, exceptionally talented staff and state of the art technology systems make our system the best in the nation.
This program developed by Larry Feeler, PT, CEAS in 1984, was to assist employers in complying with state and federal regulatory and quality assurance guidelines regarding pre-employment testing, on-the-job injury management and worker's compensation claims. It was designed by physical therapists who specialized in industrial rehabilitation with its headquarters in Austin, TX. The WorkSTEPS® program has become a widely accepted system and it has been extremely successful in regard to medical/legal intervention for industrial organizations.
ReneuRehab Physical Therapy is a licensed provider of the WorkSTEPS® program. The program enables employers to:
- Pre-Offer agility testing-administered to identify whether or not an individual has the physical ability required to perform the position for which he or she is being considered. The test seeks to establish the physical demand criteria level at which the applicant can safely perform Pre-Employment Post-Offer Testing-comprehensive testing to determine whether or not a job candidate can safely perform the essential functions of the position he or she has been offered. It includes the following components:
- Medical history review with a clinician
- A series of comprehensive medical measurements
- Strength measures
- Dynamic lifting & progressive lifting sequence
- Cardiovascular measures
- Essential job functions testing demonstrating the capability to safely perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Pre-screen employees or potential employees who have cardiovascular and/or cumulative trauma disorders- Upper Quadrant/ Carpal Tunnel.
- Evaluate current employees to identify safe and appropriate job positions and identify potential areas for improvement
- A Fit-for-Duty evaluation- for injured current workers, focuses only on the injured part of the body used in a job-specific task, rather than a comprehensive exam
- Identify legitimate work-related injuries and disqualify non-legitimate injuries- sincerity of effort testing.
- Expedite rehabilitation and post-injury returns to work.
- Meet the standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
WorkSTEPS helps our employers hire the right workers. That means safely, legally, and objectively determining if candidates have the right qualifications and can safely perform the job.
Job Task analysis & Functional Job Descriptions ensure that employers have formally documented the essential functions of all employment positions, quantified the actual physical demands associated with those employment positions, and captured certification requirements and other compliance considerations.
Employers using the WorkSTEPS EHS DataHub can input the job analysis information and functional job descriptions into the DataHub to ensure that workers are safely placed in positions that do not exceed their physical capacity.